[hunchentoot-devel] IE https problem

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Mon Jun 15 21:09:26 UTC 2009

Sorry if this is a bit off-topic, but I tried to debug this on my own
and I also searched Google for quite some time but couldn't find
anything yet.  I'm now hoping that someone on the list can maybe help
with this.

I have a Hunchentoot (pre-1.0.0) application running on a customer's
server which has been online and running fine for a couple of years
now.  (It has seen a few updates, but none in the recent months.)  The
application sits behind an Apache which acts as a proxy in the usual
way.  Content is served to the client through https which is done by
Apache, i.e. Apache talks plain http to Hunchentoot.

The application serves, amongst other things, RTF and PDF documents to
the clients which are dynamically generated.  Some time ago, in the
first half of this year, this ceased to work for RTF documents when
the client was MSIE 7.  This happened after my customer's MSIE 7
browsers received an automatic software update from Microsoft.  A bit
later the browsers were updated again (to MSIE 8) and now PDF download
is also broken.  With Firefox, all is still fine.  Also, if I access
the website through http instead of https, downloads (RTF and PDF)
still work fine.

Judging from the timing, this is pretty obviously an incompatibility
between my app (and/or Hunchentoot) which was introduced due to the
MSIE upgrade, but after fighting with this for quite some time I still
don't have a clue what the reason is and how I could fix it.  The log
files don't reveal anything, they just show a normal download of the
RTF/PDF document - while MSIE claims that it didn't receive anything.

Any ideas/hints?

Thanks,
Edi.