[hunchentoot-devel] New releases of Hunchentoot, Drakma, and Chunga

Jochen Schmidt jsc at crispylogics.com
Fri Feb 20 10:34:45 UTC 2009

Am 20.02.2009 um 06:48 schrieb Hans Hübner:

> On Fri, Feb 20, 2009 at 00:16, Vsevolod <vseloved at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Another thing worth mentioning, in my opinion, is that the old debug
>> capabilities (*catch-errors-p* and *log-lisp-backtraces*) where
>> indeed used
>> (at least by me). So it's a pity not seeing them in the new
>> release. Now the
>> only way I found to get "under the hood" was with *break-on-signals*.
>
> *BREAK-ON-SIGNALS* is better than what Hunchentoot previously had -
> You're sent to a the debugger, making actual analysis possible, and
> the technique works everywhere, not just in Hunchentoot.

Thats actually not a feature. With *catch-errors-p* you ended up
within an debugger too and it was actually a good thing that it was
restricted to hunchentoot. *break-on-signals* is definitely the wrong
tool to do that! Following the dev-tree for some time now I have just
setup my own error handling using handler-bind in a custom dispatcher
- similar to what Edi outlined in his answer. It should at least be
documented how to properly install such a hunchentoot specific error-
handler, because it might not be obvious to everyone. The new
hunchentoot is meant to be more customizable - it actually is, because
of fantastic the merits of CL like handler-bind - It would have been
nicer (from a library designer perspective) to have this integrated
within the protocols though.

> If you want to have bracktraces in your error log, you can easily
> install your own message logging function using the new
> :MESSAGE-LOGGER initarg of the ACCEPTOR class.  We removed that part
> of Hunchentoot because it was really the last piece of unportable code
> that we had, and we did not use it ourselves anyway.  Maybe someone
> can make a good cause for getting it back in.  I'm not missing it.

Never used that - I prefer using just a lispworks debugger session.

ciao,
Jochen

--
Jochen Schmidt