[hunchentoot-devel] When to use with-html-output and when to use with-html-output-to-string

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Wed Dec 16 14:13:36 UTC 2009

On Wed, Dec 16, 2009 at 2:44 PM, Phil Marneweck <zaries at global.co.za> wrote:
> Thanx for the link, I have looked at that a couple of times but until
> now I have not really put my mind to the issue.
>
> What I am actually trying to ask is whether the follwoing statement
> would be true:
>
> In general one should use with-html-output and reserve
> with-html-output-to-string for those times that you want to
> intentionally "delay" the actual rendering of the html generated untill
> needed.

Both macros do essentially the same thing, they both write to a
stream.  W-H-O writes to a stream you specify, W-H-O-T-S writes to a
string stream and returns the string it generated.  Or in other words,
W-H-O-T-S is just a convenience wrapper around W-H-O.  See the source
code for its definition.

As was already said, this should really be discussed on the CL-WHO mailing list.

Cheers,
Edi.