[hunchentoot-devel] Encoding issues in auhtorization header

Christian Haselbach ch at mr-co.de
Thu May 22 18:37:09 UTC 2008

Leslie P. Polzer wrote:
> I like the approach of having a separate login name and nickname
> (the SimpleMachines Forum does this, for example).

We get a bit OT here. The display name + login name approach is common
and ok for things like Jabber, where the client stores this information
for you. But it is yet another detail the user has to remeber. A lot of
applications use the e-mail address as login, which is quite sensible.
But this also means that the application knows your e-mail address,
which is not necessarily what you want. In short: I'd like to give the
user as much choice as possible and at most as much complexity as needed.

Anyway, I've now also got a patch for jQuery, to send RFC2047 compliant
auth header. :) I'll publish it soon on the cl-rfc2047 page.

Regards,
Christian