[hunchentoot-devel] feature request

Hans Hübner hans at huebner.org
Wed Jul 9 04:18:11 UTC 2008

2008/7/9 Cyrus Harmon <ch-tbnl at bobobeach.com>:

> Currently, if a file is setup for logging and some other program modifies
> the file, subsequent log messages fail with a message like this:
>
> [2008-07-08 16:56:00 [ERROR]] Error while processing connection: I/O timeout
> reading #<SB-SYS:FD-STREAM for "a socket" {136DDCD1}>.

I don't think that the I/O timeout message is related to reopening the
log file - As you can see in the error message, there was an operation
on a socket stream, not a file, and as I explained in a previous mail,
these timeout messages will be trapped in the future, as they are not
indicative of an error.

> It would be nice if we trapped this error and reopened the file for
> appending at this point instead of just timing out. Not sure how involved
> this is though. Figured I'd record the intention here for posterity's sake
> in case I never get around to trying to do this.

You need to use the (setf *log-pathname*) and (setf
*access-log-pathname*) accessors to force Hunchentoot to reopen the
log files.  I think there is no portable way to determine if a file
has been changed by some other program or to force appending like in
Unix' O_APPEND, but I could be wrong.  We don't really want to
introduce a platform dependency for this, or do we?

-Hans