[hunchentoot-devel] Additional encoding support

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri Mar 9 15:36:56 UTC 2007

On Sat, 10 Mar 2007 00:09:05 +0900, Jong-won Choi <jc at itsec.co.kr> wrote:

> I may need to write some additional encoding support to Hunchentoot,
> for my client.  For example, euc-jp(LW supports this), Big5(LW does
> not support this), etc.

Additional encoding support should go into FLEXI-STREAMS, not into
Hunchentoot.

  http://weitz.de/flexi-streams/

(Cc sent to FLEXI-STREAMS mailing list where we should continue with
this discussion.)

As FLEXI-STREAMS doesn't rely on a specific implementation, you can't
use LispWorks' built-in EUC-JP support, but you can probably use it as
a reference for testing.

> Would you tell me any of guidelines, hints, tips, files to read,
> etc?

You'll have to add your own stream classes and methods for reading and
writing a character to that stream.  You could probably look at how
UTF-8 or UTF-16 are implemented and work from there.

You should also add tests for these new formats and update the
documentation accordingly.

> I'll submit the final result to you, if it has a quality.

Yes, I'll gladly accept clean patches to add more external formats to
FLEXI-STREAMS.

Cheers,
Edi.