[hunchentoot-devel] Hunchentoot performance

Robert Synnott rsynnott at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 23:05:03 UTC 2007

On Dec 30, 2007 6:47 PM, Edi Weitz <edi at agharta.de> wrote:
> On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 18:55:22 +0100, vseguip at gmail.com wrote:
>

> > I think the fact that log-message is locking when logging to a file
> > makes it take a sever performance hit, maybe the use of a logging
> > framework that solves this would be nice.
>
> Yes, maybe.  Is there a mature, stable, well-documented logging
> framework out there that works with all Lisps supported by
> Hunchentoot?  How would such a framework deal with several threads
> trying to log at the same time if not with locking?
>
> One could also think of a setup where there's one dedicated logging
> process and other processes write to the log file by sending objects
> to its mailbox:
>
>   http://cl-cookbook.sourceforge.net/process.html#mailbox
>
> (Or use cl-muproc?  Maybe a bit of overkill.)
>
> But that would cancel the support for non-threaded Lisps we have now
> and it would introduce more implementation-dependent code.

One file per thread might work, though I suppose it would break down
if you had many thousands of threads...

Of course, if you were running behind lighttpd or similar, you could
have it doing request logging.

As I (unfortunately :) ) don't see anything like 400 requests per
second to my personal projects, this isn't something I'd really be
interested in looking into too much myself.
Rob