[hunchentoot-devel] Hunchentoot performance

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Sat Dec 22 15:23:19 UTC 2007

On 21-Dec-07, at 10:58 AM, vseguip at gmail.com wrote:

> Hi all,
> First, as a disclaimer, I'm a total Lisp noobie and have been playing
> with it recently poking here and there. I just tried Hunchentoot and
> was happy to see how easy it is to use. I also tried to make some
> preformance benchmarks on static files and compared it with lighttpd.
> Unsurprisingly lighttpd beat Hunchentoot quite badly, but I see there
> is still a lot of improvement for hunchentoot. I did some profiling
> and added a specialized handler that would serve static files using
> the linux sendfile system call which really improved the performance.
> Anyway I still see plenty room for improvements and I would like to
> take a stab at it, so I did some profiling. I'm putting the results in
> the ML in case someone wants to discuss it and help me figure out
> whether the speed for this use case can be improved. Details about the
> benchmark setup follow:

Have you looked at using the x-sendfile header?

<http://blog.lighttpd.net/articles/2006/07/02/x-sendfile>

To make this work you would run hunchentoot behind lighttpd (or
apache). I use apache and a reverse-proxy setup for my lisp and ruby
stuff and use this header routinely. Nginx has the same functionality
but it is invoked differently (or it used to be).

It is easy to use and so a benchmark shouldn't be hard.

Cheers,
Bob

----
Bob Hutchison                  -- tumblelog at http://www.recursive.ca/so/