[hunchentoot-devel] Re: Hunchentoot's query parameter seperator

Pierre THIERRY nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org
Sat Dec 1 11:45:22 UTC 2007

Scribit Edi Weitz dies 22/11/2007 hora 10:30:
> So, to everyone on the list - what's your experience with semicolons
> as query string separators?  Is this normal or esoteric?  And, even
> more interesting, does any client out there actually use this
> convention?

I've seen them even recently, and they're quite useful, as said already
(no escaping hell).

> Seems OK, but it might break existing applications.

Any client-side application that doesn't send them to a server escaped
is buggy, and any server-side application that parse the query string
without using them a separator as well.

If I have a form with a text field name foo and type "a=1;b=2&c=3" in
it, my current browser, Firefox, will send the following query string:

foo=a%3D1%3Bb%3D2%26c%3D3

In a PHP program, then $_GET['foo'] would evaluate as "a=1;b=2&c=3".

If arg_separator.input in php.ini contains #\;, then it would parse the
following query strng as defining two parameters, a and b:

foo=a%3D1%3Bb%3D2%26c%3D3;b=bar

Note that the default value is "&" and here is the commented line in my
default php.ini:

#arg_separator.input = ";&"

Making Hunchentoot configurable on this point would be the best, I
think.

Quickly,
Pierre
nowhere.man at levallois.eu.org