[tbnl-devel] Patches and example for running TBNL and Araneida together

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Mon Mar 14 13:22:00 UTC 2005

Hi,

I've attached patches for both Araneida and TBNL to this message. Sorry
for the cross-posting but there is some co-ordination required here and
I thought this would be a good way to do it.

I've included this message the text from a README file that is part of
the tgz file I've attached.

Unfortunately there is a really *nasty* bug with the browser->tbnl
connection -- it consumes about 250k of memory for every access. I
cannot see the problem, and I'm looking for help :-)

It appears to be completely stable for browser->araneida->tbnl (tested
for 100's of thousands of hits).

I don't know how the tbnl-araneida package with the example should be
distributed.

I'm sure this description is too brief, I'll answer what questions I
can.

I hope you find this useful.

Cheers,
Bob

--------

Some changes have been made to allow TBNL to be used with Araneida. In
particular, it is now possible to use Araneida as a server to TBNL
handlers
and it is possible to send HTTP requests directly to the TBNL socket (in
effect by-passing Araneida).

This means that the following connections are possible *simultaneously*

    browser->apache->araneida
    browser->apache->araneida->tbnl (NEW)
    browser->apache->mod_lisp->tbnl
    browser->araneida
    browser->araneida->tbnl (NEW)
    browser->tbnl (NEW)

There is a package, tbnl-araneida, that shows how this works.

In Summary...

To connect directly to TBNL, all that is required is that araneida is
compiled
and loaded *before* tbnl is compiled and loaded. (There is conditionally
compiled code in TBNL).

To connect to TBNL through Araneida, use the the Araneida handler --
tbnl-araneida-handler -- provided for this purpose.

Note that in both cases the TBNL *dispatch-table* must be set up as you
normally would when using TBNL. The sense of the installed Araneida
handler
changes slightly to a url prefix mapper to TBNL (which further refines
the
request using the *dispatch-table*).

--------