[tbnl-devel] Running TBNL Standalone

Bob Hutchison hutch at recursive.ca
Thu Mar 3 15:49:11 UTC 2005

On Mar 3, 2005, at 10:24 AM, Edi Weitz wrote:

> On Thu, 3 Mar 2005 10:10:07 -0500, Bob Hutchison <hutch at recursive.ca>
> wrote:
>
>> Has anybody thought of how TBNL might be run without an apache
>> server or mod_lisp involved? Why? I've got an application that would
>> normally be run on a server, but it would be useful to have a
>> standalone demo version. Setting up apache is not the kind of skill
>> I'd expect from the end user of this particular application.
>>
>> It seems to me that somehow getting Araneida talking to TBNL would
>> be one route -- fake mod_lisp in an Araneida handler or replace
>> TBNL's modlisp.lisp would be two possibilities.
>>
>> I suppose aserve and cl-http are also possibilities, but I suspect
>> that Araneida has something more to gain from TBNL.
>
> Sounds like an interesting idea.  I've never done this until now,
> though.

I think this is worth pursuing -- the more I think about it the more
I'm convinced. I think Araneida might be the way to go because both
packages will benefit. I want to avoid any changes to either Araneida
or TBNL at least for the first pass at this, so I guess that an
Araneida handler with a socket connection between them is an easy way
to achieve this. The socket can be eliminated later. Going to have to
worry about concurrent requests too...

Now all I have to do is find the time.

Cheers,
Bob