[ssc-devel] WAIT-CONDVAR/TIMEOUT is not implementable.

Marco Monteiro masm at acm.org
Fri Jul 28 17:32:01 UTC 2006

The problem is that after the lock is released, we cannot respect the
timeout because we must re-acquire the lock before returning.

Three possible solutions:
	* drop the function
	* change the semantics so that the lock is not re-acquired before the
function returns
	* specify that the re-acquiring of the lock has this problem and the
function cannot be used reliably (although it is still useful in most
cases.)

POSIX threads has the third behaviour. The second is not the right
thing(R), but I see uses for it.

Comments, please.

Cheers,

Marco