[named-readtables] in-readtable does not touch swank:*readtable-alist* anymore (#8)

Attila Lendvai attila at lendvai.name
Fri Nov 6 11:21:04 UTC 2015

> After suggested modification to SLIME and NAMED-READATBLES, explicit
> in-readtable form is required at every file

in my understanding that has always been the published API/contract of
IN-READTABLE.

> and also every time we issue in-package form in REPL.

again, in my understanding IN-READTABLE and IN-PACKAGE were meant to
be independent. it's only a kludge that the implementation was
intertwined for a while, because proper implementation required slime
supporting IN-READTABLE similar to how it supports IN-PACKAGE. no one
got to implement it before you, so the *READTABLE-ALIST* based kludge
made things work good enough for the time being.

i think catering for user code that relied on the sideffect of that
kludge is not a priority.

--
• attila lendvai
• PGP: 963F 5D5F 45C7 DFCD 0A39