using (in-readtable) to select a readtable

73budden . budden73 at gmail.com
Tue Aug 18 11:49:36 UTC 2015

Hi! I think begun to lose the point in the discussion :)

>> It is SLIME-specific problem. I hope I have already described the
>> problem in previous posts. E.g. you type in SLIME:
>> Of course, we can not say it is completely unpredictible, but is
>> rather hard to predict sometimes.

>OK, I see, if does seem to be SLIME-specific so it shouldn't affect my
>implementation.

My English not so good, but I guess "if" means "it". If so, what does
"it" mean? Anomaly I described is SLIME specific, but SLY is close to
SLIME, isn't it? (in-readtable) modifies *readtable-alist*, you don't
ignore *readtable-alist*. So if you type the same sequence in SLY, I
think you'll get the same unexpected readtable change behind the
scenes.

Solution I suggested is to add new "in-readtbl" form in addition to
"in-readtable". And lock *readtable-alist* from changes somehow. I
don't know how we implement locking *readtable-alist* without patching
named-readtables. Patching named-readtables is out of our authority,
but I believe we need to consider it (maybe apply a patch) if we want
that the entire system would work well.