[Slime-devel] SLY, a fork of SLY

João Távora joaotavora at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 17:43:59 UTC 2014

[I'm sorry I sent the previous reply from my work email]

Cyrus Harmon <ch-slime at bobobeach.com> writes:

> I watched the video. It’s not immediately obvious what’s new here. Nor
> is it obvious why any nifty features (inspector, trace statistics,
> etc…) couldn’t be added to slime-contrib without a fork.

Well the video is less than 4 minutes long and a only brief tour. I have
been working on this 6+ months and hundreds of commits.

While I personally disagree with you, the goal *is* to make SLY feel
familiar to SLIME users, which I think is a fantastic program.

Finally, perhaps you'll change your mind if you try it or I'll make a
better description of the features.

> Some comments on the motivation for the fork would be helpful.

OK, by popular request :-) here is _a_ comment.

Of course all of this could be possibly be added to SLIME, but not with
the freedom that I believe was required for this work.

As a sincere personal side note, I don't think forking a project
detracts from the original at all. As a matter of fact the SLIME
Hacker's Guide says

    Remember that to rewrite a program better is the sincerest form of code
    appreciation. When you can see a way to rewrite a part of SLIME better,
    please do so!

João