SLIME 2.4 in the latest Quicklisp update

Zach Beane xach at xach.com
Tue Mar 18 13:25:04 UTC 2014

Hi all,

The latest Quicklisp update includes slime 2.4. It represents a big
change from the previous dist, which used a CVS snapshot.

There have been two reports directly to me of SLIME not working after
the update. In one case, the user reported that removing all instances
of slime from ELPA fixed the problem. In another case, the report is:

  starting SLIME results in "Symbol's function definition is void:
  slime-setup-contribs"

For me, after update, SLIME seems to start fine, but after typing
anything in the REPL I get:

  This `cl-labels' requires `lexical-binding' to be non-nil [6 times]

I'm using Emacs 24.2.1. Is that message to be expected and do I have to
update my config to eliminate it?

What is the best way to discuss, troubleshoot, and fix these kinds of
issues? Can they be discussed here on slime-devel?

Thanks,
Zach