[slime-devel] Shutting down Swank within an Image.

Andrew Myers asm198 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:54:34 UTC 2011

I've got an updated version that seems to work quite well:

(defun aux-save-image (image-name)
  (let ((old-restart excl:*restart-init-function*))
    (setf excl:*restart-init-function*
          (lambda ()
            (dolist (connection swank::*connections*)
              (format t "closing ~a~%" connection)
              (swank::close-connection connection nil nil))
            (when old-restart
              (funcall old-restart))))
    (excl:dumplisp :name image-name)
    (setf excl:*restart-init-function* old-restart)))

Is there anything wrong with doing things this way?  I get the same
number of threads after I restart an image saved this way (i.e. no
left overs from prior runs) and things don't hang.  If this seems like
a clean solution I may add a (close-all-swank-connections) method to
the swank package and make the swank-backend:save-image implementation
for Allegro do something like this.

Does this sounds like a valid solution to the problem that other
Lispers would be happy with?

Andrew