[slime-devel] Restart Numbering

Tobias C. Rittweiler tcr at freebits.de
Sun Oct 25 13:53:54 UTC 2009

Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:

>>> If it's from the same code path it will be numbered just the same
>>> because you will hit the same error again.
>>
>> Yes, of course. I meant to say "similiar code path".
>
> You mean, similar but yet different enough to trigger a different error
> but many restarts are still the same?  How important is that case and
> how many restart would stay the same anyway?

SBCL does it, Slime does it, CLPython does it, unit test frameworks do
it (stefil quite heavily, but also others live 5am or lift), web
frameworks like UCW do it, probably others too.

> Seems odd to optimize that case at the expense of making the top
> restarts harder to access.

It probably depends on how much you make use of frameworky stuff.

At the moment the cursor is placed at the first frame of the backtrace;
we could make the cusor be placed at the first restart instead. (Perhaps
also making TAB switch between restart list and backtrace.) This would
make the restarts at the top easily accessible.

  -T.