[slime-devel] Standard output no longer appears in REPL

Mark Evenson evenson at panix.com
Tue May 5 13:37:28 UTC 2009

Madhu wrote:
[…]

> Also there are bugs in the implementation: if you drop your connection
> slime and your current lisp image will become unusable with SLIME.  To
> reproduce:
>
> 1. M-x slime-disconnect
> 2. M-x slime (or however you started it)
> Emacs asks:
>  Create an additional *inferior-lisp*? (y or n)
> Answer `n'
>
> You are dropped into the debugger with the following error.
>
> '----
> | Streams already redirected.
> |
> | Restart actions (select using :continue):
> |  0: retry assertion.
> |  1: Return to Top Level (an "abort" restart).
> |
> `----
>
> The problem is that an ASSERT fails in
> SWANK::INIT-GLOBAL-STREAM-REDIRECTION.

I cannot reproduce this under SLIME 2009-05-01 with SBCL, ABCL, CLISP,
and ECL running under Emacs 22.3.1  with *GLOBALLY-REDIRECT-IO* set to
NIL (the default).

With *GLOBALLY-REDIRECT-IO* set to t, I get behavior more in line with
what you encounter:  ABCL fails with a simple STREAM-ERROR.  CLISP
starts a new inferior Lisp.  SBCL and ECL gives the error that you report.

Perhaps the maintainers don't test with *GLOBALLY-REDIRECT-IO* set to
anything other than the default?

is nothing to compare to it now."