[slime-devel] What does swank do with streams?

mikel evins mevins at mac.com
Thu Jun 4 18:40:48 UTC 2009

On Jun 2, 2009, at 1:35 PM, Helmut Eller wrote:

> * mikel evins [2009-06-02 17:31+0200] writes:
>
>> Doubtless this is because we don't properly understand what swank is
>> doing with the streams. I frankly don't know how to frame an
>> intelligent question on this subject, because I don't know enough
>> about what swank is trying to accomplish and how it's going about it.
>
> Basically SWANK installs a custom stream in *STANDARD-OUTPUT*
> and that stream forwards any output to the slime-repl Emacs buffer.
> We usually do this with dynamic bindings like
>
>      (let ((*standard-output* <custom-stream>)
>            (*standard-input* <custom-stream>)
>            (*debug-io* <custom-stream>)
>            (*query-io* <custom-stream>)
>            (*terminal-io* <custom-stream>))
>           ...)
>
> before evaluating code that (potentially) generates output.  We
> actually
> use PROGV but that's a minor detail.
>
> A more problematic feature is "global IO redirection".  This installs
> our stream as the truly global value for *STANDARD-OUTPUT* etc.  and
> also as the default value for new threads.  The reason to do such a
> global thing at all is the desire to redirect the output of threads
> created by a HTTP server, or generally threads that are not created by
> us.  Global IO redirection is not enabled by default.
>
>> So, what questions should I ask? My goal is to ensure that CCL
>> controls the standard streams in a way it can rely on, while still
>> allowing a swank server to be created and run.
>
> With *globally-redirect-io* enabled you're probably out of luck
> because
> we take over control.  As often in CL, this could be solved by some
> convention but there is no established convention.
>
>> If you guys would help me zero in on the right questions to ask you
>> about swank's operation, I'd appreciate it.
>
> Maybe you could think about the HTTP server example and where debug
> output of worker threads should go and how to control that.

The problem at present is that loading and running swank is a way to
destabilize CCL's Cocoa IDE.

The Cocoa IDE relies on a socket connection to an external process for
certain critical situations. For example, a bug in a Cocoa event-
handler can cause a Cocoa app written in CCL to become unresponsive:
no events are being processed, because the event-handling thread is
blocked on a break loop. CCL solves this problem by presenting the
break loop in a separate application process (presently a dumb glass
TTY in a Cocoa window).

It appears that loading and running swank can cause this connection to
become unreliable, apparently by shuffling streams underneath us. One
solution, favored by some users, is "don't load swank." Some of us are
SLIME users, though. We'd rather figure out how to make swank coexist
peacefully with the rest of the Cocoa CCL environment. In fact, those
of us who are SLIME users would prefer to further extend SLIME and
swank, for example, to arrange for the event-thread error handlers to
be able to pop open a buffer in which we can present the break-loop
UI. However, speculating about any such feature extensions is
premature until we can guarantee the integrity of lower-level required
features that must work correctly whether or not swank and SLIME are
present.

When the CCL Cocoa app starts up, it also starts its glass TTY
process, AltConsole. It creates a socket pair, connecting AltConsole's
standard output, standard input, and standard error to one end of the
socket, and CCL's *TERMINAL-IO* to the other end. We require the
ability to guarantee the integrity of those stream connections. Is
there a way to guarantee that integrity when swank is loaded and a
server created? I'm perfectly willing to change CCL code or swank code
to accomplish it, if need be. One way or another, though, that
integrity is a requirement at our end.

--me