[slime-devel] REPL problems

Benjamin L. Russell DekuDekuplex at Yahoo.com
Mon Jun 1 07:52:29 UTC 2009

On Fri, 29 May 2009 23:09:30 +0800, Stephen Lee <leejianm at hotmail.com>
wrote:

>Hi I am using Windows XP SP 2. Gave up and changed to CLISP,now it works.

Are you sure?  I thought so, too, but when I evaluated the following
program for computing the solution to the Towers of Hanoi problem with
"(hanoi 3)", the output from the "format" statement directed to
standard output that should have been sent to the REPL got sent to the
"*inferior-lisp*" buffer, instead:

>(defun hanoi (n)
>	   (hanoi-helper n 'A 'B 'C))
>
>(defun hanoi-helper (n source dest using)
>	   (cond ((equalp n 1) (format t "Move disc from ~A to ~A.~%" source dest))
>		 (t (progn
>		      (hanoi-helper (- n 1) source using dest)
>		      (hanoi-helper 1 source dest using)
>		      (hanoi-helper (- n 1) using dest source)))))

Are you sure that "format" doesn't redirect output directed to
standard output to the "*inferior-lisp*" buffer instead of the REPL?

-- Benjamin L. Russell