[slime-devel] Find Definitions

Terje Norderhaug terje at in-progress.com
Sat Dec 26 21:10:46 UTC 2009

On Dec 24, 2009, at 1:20 AM, Helmut Eller wrote:
> * Terje Norderhaug [2009-12-24 00:00+0100] writes:
>> Swank should better aid clients like MCLIDE and SLIME in making sense
>> of the definitions from the various lisp implementations. Two
>> potential solutions have been brought up:
>>
>> 1) Swank uses a unified representation of dspecs shared between all
>> lisp implementations.
>> 2) Swank provides clients with lisp implementation specific
>> information to make sense out of different dspecs.
>
> 3) let Swank choose the representation but provide a backend function
> if someone thinks there is some value in dspecs.

The latter is a reasonable direction. We may as well stick to the
current dspec representation but add a backend function that can help
clients make sense out of the dspecs. That way the functionality can
be added without introducing compatibility issues and disruption for
SLIME users.

-- Terje Norderhaug
    terje at in-progress.com