[slime-devel] Re: Mercurial

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Tue Mar 4 17:08:37 UTC 2008

On Tue, Mar 04, 2008 at 02:48:46PM +0100, Helmut Eller wrote:
> Here are the sizes for the repos on my disk:
> $ du -h -s  slime-bzr/.bzr/  slime-git/.git slime-hg/trunk/.hg/
> 8.1M    slime-bzr/.bzr/
> 7.1M    slime-git/.git
> 3.9M    slime-hg/trunk/.hg/

I'm not trying to influence things here one way or another (I personally
prefer Git, but then again I pretty much don't do Slime work anymore
either), but a simple one-time archival repack (git repack -adf
--window=250 --depth=250) improves things for Git quite a lot:

:; du -h -s slime/.git
3.1M    slime/.git

I know repacking is often brought up as a downside of Git, but after
using it for close to a year now in a environment with a large
(proprietary) repository (~420MB packed, 40,000+ files, ten year
history), it just hasn't been an issue.  It's really nice being able to
make a time/space tradeoff where you prefer.

(And yes, Git is seemingly impossibly fast on this repository.  It's
about an order of magnitude slower on Windows, but so is everything
else; Windows's stat call is just slow.)

-bcd