[slime-devel] Re: Output lost after disconnect reconnect

Gábor Melis mega at retes.hu
Tue Jul 29 14:30:28 UTC 2008

On Sábado 05 Julio 2008, Tobias C. Rittweiler wrote:
> "Tobias C. Rittweiler" <tcr at freebits.de> writes:
> > Gábor Melis <mega at retes.hu> writes:
> > > Updated patch attached.
> > >
> > > Tested with sbcl and allegro (with allegro it needs the other
> > > *globally-redirect-io* patch sent today).
> >
> > Applied, thanks.
> >
> > What is the other patch, and has it been applied in the mean time?
> >
> >   -T.
>
> I reverted the patch again. Global IO redirection seems to be broken
> currently. It seems to be still broken after reverting the patch,
> however.
>
>   -T.

I've just tested the patch with cvs head and it seems to work for me. I
don't know how global io redirection was broken back then. Once thing I
had to change in the process to reproduce is to add a (swank::init).

Detailed process to reproduce:
1. start an sbcl
2. (require 'asdf)
    (asdf:oos 'asdf:load-op 'swank)
    (setq swank:*globally-redirect-io* t)
    (setq swank:*global-debugger* t)
    (setf swank:*use-dedicated-output-stream* nil)
    (swank:create-server :dont-close t :port 4007)
    (swank::init)
3. connect from slime
4. from a buffer eval
  (loop
   (sleep 5)
   (print 'hello *trace-output*)
   (force-output *trace-output*))
5. disconnect
[At this point output should be going to the terminal where sbcl was
started which is the case when the above snippet is wrapped in
(sb-thread:make-thread (lambda () ...))). Instead it goes to nowhere.]
6. slime-connect again
7. observe that nobody says hello anymore

Gabor