[slime-devel] slime dies on printing some characters?

T Taneli Vahakangas vahakang at cs.helsinki.fi
Mon Oct 9 15:07:45 UTC 2006

Hello all,

I'm a newb to lisp (using sbcl), slime and emacs, so maybe this is
a FAQ or some other trivia I just can't find ... anyway, doing this:

(string #\UGARITIC_LETTER_ALPA)

causes slime to die and complain on emacs bottom-line about:
error in process filter: net-read error: (end-of-file)

If I start sbcl from the command-line it works. Most other
interesting characters work, like, say #\ARABIC_LETTER_HAMZA or
#\HEBREW_LETTER_ALEF, but for whatever reason ugaritic and some
others don't. I don't have a comprehensive list, but besides
ugaritic, at least #\LANGUAGE_TAG kills slime.

What can be done about it? Is there a setting somewhere that
needs to be (un)done?

	Taneli