[slime-devel] Re: slime.el `slime-expand-abbreviations-and-complete'

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Sat Dec 16 21:04:53 UTC 2006

On Sat, 16 Dec 2006 06:57:05 +0530, Madhu <enometh at meer.net> wrote:

> Did you choose a completion (from several alternatives) from the
> *Completions* buffer, by <Enter> or clicking on it?

Yes.

> I believe The "buffer is read only" error messages also expose the
> bug, and occurs because slime-repl-face has text properties
> read-only, while the code accesses parts of the input it
> shouldnt. This probably masks the bug being addressed. Again, I had
> convinced myself before posting that fix that the existing code was
> wrong, and still wish to know what I'm missing

No idea, but as I said I never had problems with the existing code and
I always use slime-complete-symbol*.  I'm also using the same
algorithm in LW-ADD-ONS.

> Perhaps you could tell me what settings you use?

These should be the relevant ones:

  (slime-setup)

  (setq slime-complete-symbol*-fancy t
        slime-multiprocessing t
        slime-repl-enable-presentations nil
        slime-conservative-indentation nil
        slime-complete-symbol-function 'slime-complete-symbol*
        common-lisp-hyperspec-root
          "file:///C:/Program%20Files/LispWorks/lib/4-4-0-0/manual/online/web/CLHS/"
        common-lisp-hyperspec-symbol-table
          "C:/Progra~1/LispWo~1/lib/4-4-0-0/manual/online/web/CLHS/Data/Map_Sym.txt"
        hyperspec-mop-page
          "file:///c:/home/lisp/doc/mop/dictionary.html")

  (add-hook 'lisp-mode-hook
            (lambda ()
              (set (make-local-variable 'adaptive-fill-mode) nil)
              (slime-mode t)))

> I almost always use slime inside an emacs running under terminal,

I rarely do that.  But when I did, I didn't have problems.

> with only one frame, but tried other settings too, and the text
> invariably got garbled.

Not for me.

> As for reverting the change, I dont mind

OK.

> as I have been fixing this locally for years. The fact is I found
> slime-completion* unusable without fixing it, which is why I was
> surprised no one had complained before.

Seems you're using some setting that's different.

Cheers,
Edi.