[slime-devel] Error on startup: Servname not supported

Peter Gijsels peter.gijsels at gmail.com
Wed Nov 16 23:12:37 UTC 2005

> ..., when I went to start slime, I ran
> into some problems.

> Specifically, the command buffer in emacs states:
> itimer "run-with-timer" signaled: (error "127.0.0.1/(^W1^H& Servname
> not supported for ai_socktype")

> I'm running XEmacs 21.4.17, and my clisp --version reports Software:
> GNU C 4.0.2. I'm running on the "breezy" version of Kubuntu Linux
> (Ubuntu).

I'm seeing the same problem with the same XEmacs, also on Kubuntu
(5.10). It seems that open-network-stream won't work with a number as
a port argument.

As a work-around you can add the following function to your slime.el
and replace the 2 calls to open-network-stream with
my-open-network-stream:
(defun my-open-network-stream (name buffer host port)
  (open-network-stream name buffer host (if (numberp port)
(number-to-string port) port) 'tcp))

When you google around a bit it seems that there was indeed a problem
with open-network-stream in that XEmacs version.

Regards,
Peter