[slime-devel] patchlets on buffering.

Taylor Campbell campbell at mumble.net
Fri Nov 11 19:20:48 UTC 2005

   Date: Fri, 11 Nov 2005 12:42:11 +0100
   From: "Mario S. Mommer" <mmommer at common-lisp.net>

   By default, the connection between the lisp and the slime repl is
   buffered. I would like to propose to have it unbuffered. on the
   grounds that if the user has a (format t ...), he/she probably wants
   the message to appear immediately on the screen :-)

Wouldn't it be best for the Swank evaluation RPCs to force the output
themselves?  This is just as simple to implement, doesn't introduce
potential performance problems of unbuffered I/O, and solves the
problem more clearly where it is occurring.  (This is what I do in
SLIME48.)