[slime-devel] single keystroke debugging with clisp?

Hoehle, Joerg-Cyril Joerg-Cyril.Hoehle at t-systems.com
Wed Jun 1 11:12:37 UTC 2005

Hi,

a few month ago, I tried out slime-1.0 with either Emacs-20.7 on MS-Windows or some other Emacs on Suse Linux 8.0/1, and enjoyed the single keystroke step mode with clisp.

I.e., where normally one would type step#\Return or next#\return, a single s or n sufficed: stepping became enjoyable.

Now I installed slime-1.2.1 on a Debian box and even looked at slime-cvs?tag=FAIRLY-STABLE and silme-cvs?HEAD from a couple of days ago, and found nothing like this much appreciated functionality anymore.

Did I dream that whole story while awake? I just started again Emacs-20.7 with the slime-1.0 there on the MS-Windows box and got no single keystroke stepping. Invoking CLISP's STEP macro did not make anything special happen in slime or sldb.
Invoking (defun foo(n)(if (zerop n) 1(* (progn (break) n) (foo (1- n)))))
with (foo 3) caused sldb to open, but hitting s raised the error
NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD: When calling #<STANDARD-GENERIC-FUNCTION
  SWANK-BACKEND:SLDB-STEP> with arguments (0), no method is applicable.

What happened? I'm pretty sure I once experienced single keystroke stepping in CLISP. Does anybody know about that?

Thanks for your help,
	Jörg Höhle