[slime-devel] Trying to get started with OpenMCL

rif rif at MIT.EDU
Sun Feb 27 17:58:25 UTC 2005

I am confused.  People keep telling me I need the interface database.
>From the download page of openmcl
(http://openmcl.clozure.com/Distributions/openmcl-release-0.14.2.html),
the current "Full Archive" includes the interface database.

-------------------
Historically, OpenMCL has been distributed as "binary archives" (which
contained the bare minimum: a lisp kernel, heap image, HTML
documentation. and support files) and "source archives" (which
contained system and example program sources); additionally, it was
necessary to install an "interface database" appropriate for the
target platform in order to have a fully functional system.

Many people found this confusing and unintuitive; beginning with this
release, OpenMCL will also be available as complete, self-contained
archives.

There's already a patched version of 0.14.2 available; most of the
notes below describe 0.14.2, but the "Patches" section at the bottom
of this page describes fixes in 0.14.2-p1.
-------------------

I have downloaded and am using the file "Full Archive" file
openmcl-linuxppc-all-0.14.2-p1.tar.gz.  The documentation on the
webpage indicates that this INCLUDES the interface file.  When I try to
start slime, I get the following message:

; Warning: Interface file #4P"ccl:darwin-headers;libc;functions.cdb" does not exist.
; While executing: CCL::CDB-OPEN
Read error between positions 8480 and 8595 in /Users/rif/Software/slime/swank-openmcl.lisp.
> Error in process listener(1): Foreign function not found: OS::|tmpnam|
> While executing: CCL::LOAD-EXTERNAL-FUNCTION
> Type :POP to abort.
Type :? for other options.
1 >

However, the file functions.cdb DOES seem to exist in the proper
place.  In particular, right now my .emacs reads:

(setq inferior-lisp-program "/Applications/openmcl/ccl/dppccl")

and the file
/Applications/openmcl/ccl/darwin-headers/libc/functions.cdb DOES
exist.  This makes me think I have some kind of pathname problem.

Can anyone offer assistance?

Cheers,

rif

ps.  I have also tried downloading the interface separately and adding
it in via the instructions; this does not change the error I get.