[slime-devel] Re: [slime-cvs] CVS update: slime/ChangeLog

Robert Marlow bobstopper at bobturf.org
Wed Feb 23 10:53:04 UTC 2005

On Wed, 2005-02-23 at 04:13 -0500, Steve Salkin wrote:
> Helmut Eller wrote:

> >>Why oh why was this deleted? This feature gave me warm and fuzzy
> >>feelings at the start of every lisp hacking session! Can it at least
> >>be optionally enabled?
> >>

> >Because it takes ages (~2 sec) to display and needlessly complicates
> >the code.  SLIME's startup sequence is already long and hairy enough.
> >

> As a slime user, I always found the animation a playful and cheerful
> thing, which befits the nature of Lisp programming. I really think it's
> a shame to see it go.
>
> Of course I speak as a user and not a slime developer - I have no idea
> how it complicated matters. I wouldn't ask slime developers to preserve
> something that's arguably a gimmick if it makes things more difficult
> for them. But if the difficulty presented is small, I'd ask that you
> reconsider.

I second that. Nothing says "This is a serious, full-featured IDE" to
pseudo-programmer types than an impressive startup animation. And how am
I supposed to dumb down how "cool" slime is to non-programmers if I
can't show them the funky animation? But as Steve said, if it's a
maintenance burden, dump it.

--
Robert Marlow <bobstopper at bobturf.org>