[slime-devel] Random idea

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Mon Feb 7 04:33:07 UTC 2005

I'm cleaning up some code for my book and I noticed that I can
probably get rid of the ";;; Local Variables:" section at the bottom
of my files, at least so far as getting rid of thins like this:

;;; eval:  (put 'walk-mp3s 'common-lisp-indent-function (get 'with-output-to-string 'common-lisp-indent-function))

However the other class of entries I have are things like this:

;;; eval: (font-lock-add-keywords 'lisp-mode '(("(\\(define-binary-type\\)\\s +\\(\\(\\w\\|\\s_\\)+\\)"  (1 font-lock-keyword-face) (2 font-lock-function-name-face))))

It occurs to me that there might be a way for SWANK to tell SLIME to
tell Emacs that certain macros should be font-locked a particular way.
I haven't thought through how exactly this would work but it'd be cool
to have SLIME/Emacs just do the right thing without having to litter
my code with weird stuff just to tell Emacs how to turn my code into
appropriately colored fruit salad.

Anyway, I may take a crack at implementing this in a couple weeks if
it doesn't strike anyone else's fancy in the meantime. If you have
suggestions/comments about how such a DWIM-font-locking ought to work,
send 'em my way.

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com