[slime-devel] Re: [slime-cvs] CVS update: slime/doc/slime.texi

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Thu Apr 7 09:15:24 UTC 2005

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 10:40:14 +0200, Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> wrote:

> Well, I don't know how long it takes to get a small change (less
> than 20 lines) into CVS Emacs.  It definitely takes ages until you
> can convince them to change some C code.  It took two months before
> my server socket changes showed up in CVS.  I also had to sign
> papers.  Small changes don't need papers and can probably integrated
> a lot faster.
>
> But I think it would be better to keep the indentation code in Emacs
> than to make a fork.

Yes, it's one thing to get code into Emacs.  The other problem is to
actually see a new release which incorporates this code.  E.g., there
are a couple of bugs in the font-locking code for Lisp which IIRC have
been fixed in CVS long ago.  However, the last substantial release is
now more than two years ago (21.4. was just a security fix) so the
bugs are still in there.

One could, in theory, build Emacs from CVS from time to time, but a)
I'm reluctant to depend on supposedly "unstable" software the whole
day and b) I'm too dumb to build Emacs on Wintendo.

I'd prefer if a current, working version of the indentation code at
least would be part of SLIME.

Just my EUR 0.02.

Cheers,
Edi.