[slime-devel] installing slime on windows with emacs 21.3

Håkon Alstadheim hakon at alstadheim.priv.no
Mon Nov 22 10:04:42 UTC 2004

Jason Wang wrote:

>hi, i read the installation instructions, one point i does not
>understand, which is:
>"installation just requires a few lines in your '~/.emacs':"
>where is the  '~/.emacs' in windows distribution of emacs? please
>enlighten me on this, thanks alot

This is an FAQ on emacs, and the answer is the same no matter what kind
of system you use. Just do find-file (C-x C-f), and enter ~/.emacs as
the file to find. Press enter. Enter the text you wish, and save. The
file will be created if it does not exist. If you are curious about
where the file will end up, just do a dired (C-x d) while you are in the
.emacs buffer, and accept the suggested ~/. .This wil open the directory
containing your .emacs file.

The beauty of this recipe for finding your .emacs, is that it works on
all emacses, and it works even if something screwed up emacs' view of HOME.

If you want to keep your .emacs somewhere else, make sure emacs is
started with the HOME env-var pointing to the directory you want.

P.S: There is a "reply-to: " header in the OP. I presume this means
jason wants the replies directly to his own mailbox. I figure this will
be an FAQ here aswell, so this is the canonical answer for the record.