[slime-devel] supported platforms

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Nov 21 15:52:29 UTC 2004

"Alex Mizrahi" <udodenko at users.sourceforge.net> writes:

> Hello, All!
>
> looks like statement:
>
> --
> SLIME works with .. and with XEmacs version 21 on Unix, OSX, and Win32.
> --
>
> is incorrect.

Yes, that is possible.  I never tried with anything older than 21.4.

> i have XEmacs 21.1.3 on Solaris x86 10 (because i found no newer binaries
> for this OS, and don't have C compiler to build new xemacs) and it refuses
> to work.

You have a box with a Lisp system but no C compiler?  Man, Lisp is
popular these days :)

> it demanded lots of elisp files, after i copied them from newer xemacs
> (21.4.13) is said
> --
> Symbol's chain of function indirections contains a loop: define-minor-mode
> --
> which i don't know how to deal with..

In recent XEmacs versions, define-minor-mode is an alias for
easy-mmode-define-minor-mode.  If define-minor-mode is not fbound,
SLIME defines the alias.  It's possible that this aliasing doesn't
work so well if you mix old and versions of easy-mmode.  You could try
to load easy-mmode and, if needed, define the alias before loading
SLIME.  Reini Urban mentioned something like this:
<http://common-lisp.net/pipermail/slime-devel/2004-September/002435.html>

If that fails, you probably have to bite the bullet and get a C
compiler, fetch the XEmacs sources together with the Sumo tarballs,
and build your own version.  Or you could switch to Emacs.  I know
that SLIME works with Emacs 20.7 because that's what I'm using.

Helmut.