[slime-devel] Re: sbcl regression with slime

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Nov 20 20:17:30 UTC 2004

Christophe Rhodes <csr21 at cam.ac.uk> writes:

> Maybe -- but, unless I read Helmut's work wrongly, it's also the only
> way of communicating the full space of characters to Emacs -- that is,
> Helmut's message strongly implied to me that current released versions
> of the emacsen do not support utf-8 communications in any useful way.
> Is this correct?

I was wrong.  According to the NEWS file the utf-8 coding system was
already present in Emacs 21.1., i.e. the first release of the 21
series.  Sorry, for the confusion.

I don't know what the exact state in the XEmacs world is.  My XEmacs
21.4 here had neither utf-8 nor emacs-mule support.  But as Daniel
said, utf-8 can be added with the mule-ucs package.  I just tried it
and it worked painlessly under Debian.  mule-ucs works even for
Emacs20.

One difference I observed between emacs-mule and utf-8 was that the
same CL character can be mapped to different Emacs characters.
E.g. in Allegro #\greek_small_letter_lamda (no, that's not a typo :)
with char-code #x3bb, can be displayed as #x513bb or #xd34b.  With my
fonts, the glyph for the latter is a bit wider than a normal
character.  No idea what that means, though.

Helmut.