[slime-devel] Re: sbcl regression with slime

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Nov 20 17:40:22 UTC 2004

Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> writes:

> On 20 Nov 2004, Christophe Rhodes wrote:
>> Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
>>
>>> CMUCL, OpenMCL: support only iso-8859-1-unix.
>>> SBCL, CLISP: can be used with iso-8859-1-unix or utf-8-unix.
>>> Allegro: supports all three.
>>
>> Thank you.  What Lisp support do you need to support other external
>> formats?  A lisp-side understanding of the emacs multibyte system?
>>
>> If so, where is emacs-mule-unix documented?
>
> `emacs-mule' is an internal coding system -- *not* something that you
> really want to use for communications between (X)Emacs and another
> process.

Maybe -- but, unless I read Helmut's work wrongly, it's also the only
way of communicating the full space of characters to Emacs -- that is,
Helmut's message strongly implied to me that current released versions
of the emacsen do not support utf-8 communications in any useful way.
Is this correct?

Cheers,

Christophe