[slime-devel] Re: SLIME to be featured in Practical Common Lisp

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Nov 11 07:53:03 UTC 2004

"Steven E. Harris" <seh at panix.com> writes:

> Can you elaborate here? What features are missing in CLISP that SLIME
> requires to make M-. more useful?

AFAIK, CLISP doesn't record the source filename and the position in
the file of function or variable or definitions.  Without that
information we have to fall back to heuristics.  I think CLISP stores
the *load-pathname* of functions in the property list of the
corresponding symbol, but that's far from optimal.  It seems like the
*load-pathname* is only there to suppress some redefinition warnings,
not to implement something like M-.

CLISP should store the source locations of functions, macros, methods,
variables, defstructs, defclasses, and possibly user defined defining
macros in a easily accessible place.  The CLISP compiler could also
create a TAGS file, so that the information can be used without SLIME.

Helmut.