[slime-devel] SLIME to be featured in Practical Common Lisp

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Sat Nov 6 22:33:07 UTC 2004

I'm getting to the point in the work on my book that I'm starting to
think in detail about packaging code for the accompanying CD, etc. I'm
planning to use some version of the Lisp In A Box package that Matthew
Danish and Mikel Evins have been working on which features SLIME
heavily. I'll also be using SLIME as my example of a Lisp development
environment, talking about it in the text. So, the question is, what
version of SLIME do I use?

I've only been loosely paying attention--have there been any changes
since 1.0 that I'll want? (I've been running CVS head for pretty much
forever). Are there any plans for a 1.1 or 1.0.1 or whatever?

Also, is there anything that Franz could do to help us make SLIME
better on Allegro? Since they're the ones who started this book
project, the accompanying CD will probably contain a version of
Allegro for Linux, Windows, and OS X. Are there any features of SLIME
that are missing or lame on Allegro compared to other Lisp's? If
there's any low-hanging fruit that could be picked off with a bit of
cooperation from the folks at Franz maybe I can talk to them about it.

FWIW, I'm also planning to provide SBCL for Linux and OS X, OpenMCL
for OS X, and perhaps CLISP for all three platforms. (Unless either a
Windows port of SBCL or CMUCL shows up in the near future.) So if
there any notable SLIME defficiencies on any of those platforms that I
should be aware of, feel free to let me know.

Finally, are there any major holes in the current SLIME docs? I may be
able to help plug them if there are so I can just refer folks to SLIME
docs rather than having to explain everything in the book text proper.

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com