[slime-devel] Re: Bug in arglist display for unknown functions.

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sat Mar 13 15:56:38 UTC 2004

Ivan Boldyrev <boldyrev+nospam at cgitftp.uiggm.nsc.ru> writes:

> > What would you like to see instead?  Nothing?  "<not available>"?
>
> Displaying nothing is OK for me. :)
>
> But error messages during normal edit (especially long: two-line
> messages in minibuffer forces Emacs to resize one of other buffers and
> it is little pausing) are annoing.
>
> Recognizing Common Lisp structures (as Christophe Rhodes suggest)
> would be fine, but there are probably least important things to do :)

I implemented Christophe's suggestion.  Emacs sends the operator names
of the forms around point to Lisp and gets the arglist of the nearest
function/macro back.  So for "(etypecase foo (integer " you see
"(etypecase keyform &body cases)" in the echo area, but for
"(etypecase foo (string " you still get "(string a)".  If no symbol in
the list is fbound nothing is displayed.  I hope the new behavior is
more to your liking.

Thank you both for the suggestions.

Helmut.