[slime-devel] long delay starting up slime on a computer off-line

Chisheng Huang cph at chi-square-works.com
Wed Jun 30 17:46:13 UTC 2004

When my computer is connected to the internet, M-x slime will get me
a slime repl buffer immediately.  However, if my computer is not
connected to the internet, it takes much longer to get a slime repl
buffer.  There is a long wait while the mini buffer displaying
"Connecting to Swank on port 35948...", after which there is another
long wait while the mini buffer displaying "initial handshake...".
The first delay is due to a call to OPEN-NETWORK-STREAM in
SLIME-NET-CONNECT.  Not sure about the 2nd delay, which is probably
on the CL side.  Is it possible to get rid of this long delay when
starting up Slime on a computer off-line?

Best,

-cph