[slime-devel] swank/xref and slime-load-file

Jonathan Meeks jm at jmeeks.com
Sun Aug 1 16:09:05 UTC 2004

At Sun, 01 Aug 2004 09:02:13 +0200,
Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> wrote:
> Most implementations load the fasl file if the filename has no
> extension (and if there is a fasl file in the directory).  I think the
> problem you are seen is more related to interpreted functions.  When
> you load the .lisp file, the loaded functions are usually interpreted
> and not compiled.  That's at least the situation for CMUCL.
>
> slime-list-callees currently only works for compiled and byte-compiled
> functions; interpreted functions are basically ignored.  Also CMUCL
> doesn't record the source location for interpreted functions.
>
> To support slime-list-callees for interpreted functions we probably
> need to walk the IR code.  To record the source location we would need
> a little change to CMUCL itself.  Not sure if interpreted code is
> important enough for the added complexity.

Yes, that appears to be the issue.

Would it be worth adding a load/compile/re-xref command from within
the lisp-mode buffer?  I have my own hacked up elisp for personal use
but could generalize it if anyone is interested.

Also, I am not sure if this has been mentioned before, but how
difficult would it be to add some sort of specially bound variable
that has the output from the last command in the REPL?  An comparable
example exists in ipython.

--Jonathan