[slime-devel] Massive PR Campaign (Was: Re: NEWS)

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Fri Apr 30 22:02:20 UTC 2004

Okay!

So you guys convinced me that we should make more of an effort to
explain SLIME to people, since currently it's like "the world's worst
kept secret." Based on Bill's thoughts I think we can make Brian
somewhat happy without actually making release tarballs :-)

To this end I have done two drastic things: made a new webpage (with
HTML-hacking help from #lisp) and posted an up-to-date description of
SLIME to comp.lang.lisp. I have represented us as being "at version
0.13" (i.e. FAIRLY-STABLE is at the SLIME-0-13 tag), which I hope
helps explain our current state in reasonably meaningful
version-number terms.

Re: making a real release, I think that when we first discussed this
the main things we needed were (in my mind):

  Stable code (no awful bugs that force an upgrade within a few months)
  Clean code (our backend interface was a mess for a long time)
  Documentation
  Proper web page

I think we're now substantially closer to having releasable code, and
we pretty much have a proper manual and web page. So although we
haven't been planning how to make a release, I do think we've been
moving steadily towards a release-worthy state all the same.

Cheers,
Luke