[slime-devel] Re: NEWS

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Fri Apr 30 13:59:30 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Today we received bugreports like "CLISP hangs on startup", "SBCL dies
> with SIGBUS", "can't set FPU modes".  Desn't seem like SLIME is ready
> for release and making a tarball will not help us getting there.

I agree. Our current rock&roll development style makes this all pretty
easy to handle: "Foo is broken [here's a patch]." "Fixed in CVS now."
Much more fun than "That'll be fixed in the next release."

The important thing is to make the best Emacs programming mode known
to man in the fastest and most enjoyable way. The rest is secondary.

But thanks Brian for the vote of confidence in the current maturity!
However, I think having cautious people avoid SLIME initially is a
much lesser evil than having them download it thinking it's more
mature than it really is and then curse and swear at it.

BTW, SLIME is the most fun project I've been involved in and I
attribute much of this to everyone using the same CVS code. With 31
hackers listed in the ChangeLog we must be doing something right :-)

Cheers,
Luke