[slime-devel] SLIME Edit Definition

Lynn Quam quam at ai.sri.com
Mon Apr 26 02:55:10 UTC 2004

I note that Edit Definition (meta-dot) in SLIME is inaccurate in
positioning "point" when the buffer(file) has been modified by adding,
removing or rearranging parts of the buffer(file).

I recognize that this is, in general, a difficult problem.

Is the "pragmatic solution" to do "Compile/Load File" when changes to
the buffer make the source code location information useless?

Back in the "good old days" with (1mhz) Symbolics Lisp Machines and
the ZWEI editor,  "buffer sectionization" did a pretty good job of
keeping track of the source code locations.  This allowed top level
white-space and modifications of function defintions to be made
without losing track of the source code location.

Are there any thoughts about makeing slime.el smarter about changes
to the Lisp source code?