[slime-devel] Protocol mismatches (was: Some remarks)

Lawrence Mitchell wence at gmx.li
Wed Apr 21 00:20:49 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller wrote:

[...]

> The swank code is recompiled if the one of the .lisp source files is
> newer than the corresponding fasl file and Emacs asks if he should
> recompile slime.el if an old slime.elc lies around.  But we just abort
> when the Lisp and ELisp versions are out sync.  Not sure if a more
> automatic mechanism is worth the trouble.

On the swank side, I suppose you could signal a
swank-files-too-old condition, or something, which the user
could then handle appropriately, rather than just dying
completely, since the current method requires that one touch one
of the lisp files and restart the server, etc...  On the emacs
side, one could do clever things by reloading slime.el if there
is a protocol mismatch.

e.g.
(lexical-let ((tries 0))
(defun slime-check-for-protocol-mismatch (lisp-version)
  (while (and (< (incf tries 2))
              (version-mismatch))
     (load-file "slime.el"))))

or something.