[slime-devel] Backup tags handling for M-.

Dave Roberts ldave at droberts.com
Sun Apr 18 02:45:50 UTC 2004

I was using Emacs to do some Lisp code browsing the other day. Along the
way, I was trying to jump around to some definitions. I tried using M-.
but the code had not been compiled or loaded into the inferior Lisp
process. As a result, SLIME complained that it didn't know about the
defun I was looking for. I turned off SLIME mode and generated a tags
file using standard emacs. Using standard emacs Lisp-mode, I was able to
browse the definitions using the tags file.

So, the question is, is it possible for SLIME to fall back to using the
tags file like emacs Lisp-mode when it's standard behavior fails?

Now, I could just go around turning off slime-mode every time I load a
file, but that's really a pain. Since I have set up a mode hook, every
Lisp file loads with slime-mode by default, which is how I want things
most of the time when I'm developing. The problem is when trying to
browse a library. Even if you turn slime-mode off for one file, it turns
itself back on as soon as you use M-. with standard lisp-mode.

--
Dave Roberts <ldave at droberts.com>