[slime-devel] Re: slime repl commands

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Tue Apr 6 15:09:56 UTC 2004

Christian Lynbech <christian.lynbech at ericsson.com> writes:

> Marco> i just applied a patch which adds "repl commands" to slime.
> Marco> the syntax is #\, command-name &rest args. I used the comma instead of
> Marco> #\: since, afaict, #\, will never appear at the start of a valid lisp
> Marco> form (unless you're messing with the read table in which case you can
> Marco> just deal with it).
>
> A few comments (but do not misunderstand, I think the idea is good).
>
> I am not sure that I am all that enthusiastic about the choice of #\,
> rather than #\: since there are already at least 3 systems using the
> latter.

This could perhaps be made configurable. I like comma much better.

> It may be nice to have a command that manipulates
> *default-pathname-defaults* but I think that calling it `cd' will
> confuse at least CMUCL users (for instance, `load' does not takes its
> notion of CWD from *default-pathname-defaults*).

True, this should be done via backend functions. We already have one
for setting the default directory (which sets (ext:default-directory)
in CMUCL), we just need a new one for reading it.

I agree with your other suggestions, there's lots of nice stuff we can
do with this feature in the future.

-Luke