[slime-devel] Re: Rape/Steal/Pillage

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Wed Dec 10 13:59:46 UTC 2003

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com writes:

> Peter Seibel writes:
>  > Alain.Picard at memetrics.com writes:
>
>  > > And my current initialization file is full of crud like
>  > > this:
>  > >   (put 'setq 'common-lisp-indent-function '(2 6))
>  > >   (put 'setf 'common-lisp-indent-function '(2 6))
>  > >   (put 'unwind-protect 'common-lisp-indent-function '(2 &body))
>  > >   ;; etc
>  > >
>  > > to get common lisp indentation coming out "standard".  Should
>  > > all this stuff be part of SLIME?
>  >
>  > I'm just a lurker here but I'd argue that it'd be nice if the stuff
>  > that doesn't *need* to be integrated with SLIME be teased out into a
>  > separate thing.
>
> Okay, let's change the question: should all this sort of
> crud be part of a common-lisp-edit.el add-on that people can
> choose to use or not use, as they wish?

Ideally your example code above belongs in `cl-indent.el' that comes
with Emacs. It should know how to indent Common Lisp properly.

Emacs comes with a huge amount of general Lisp-editing code that both
SLIME and ILISP use. (I think ELI has its own lisp-mode and even
emacs-lisp-mode but I don't know the story - I am curious.) Ideally
extensions of this should be contributed into Emacs, but of course
it'll take some years before you can reasonablly expect installed
Emacsen to have the new features after they're released.

Having a common-lisp-edit.el containing code that can be used with
SLIME and ILISP, and could be contributed into Emacs, seems like a
good idea. We would probably end up each having a copy in our CVS
trees and manually keeping them in sync (as with hyperspec.el today),
but that's okay.

FWIW I would start with just a new `outline-minor-mode' section in
slime.el personally. Of course we'll be glad to take advantage of your
efforts in whichever format you choose :-)

Cheers,
Luke