[s-xml-rpc-devel] Fault returned when calling method with no arguments

Andrew Jones-Gonzales dj.haruko at gmail.com
Tue Oct 14 20:37:57 UTC 2008

I've run into an interesting problem where S-XML-RPC would complain that an
"empty" string was not of type LIST.  It would only occur when I used
S-XML-RPC for just the server.  When I used something else as the client,
like the command line tool that came with the XML-RPC-C library or the
XML-RPC.Net library for C#, the server would return the fault.  Using
S-XML-RPC as a client worked fine.

After some debugging, I think I traced the cause to a few extra #\Newline
and #\Return characters getting inserted into the XML from these other
libraries/tools.  So essentially, they give us a string that should be
empty, but instead has whitespace in it.  I'm not sure if it's more correct
to patch these other libraries instead, but the small patch I'm attaching
fixes this in S-XML-RPC.

Cheers,
-Andrew Jones-Gonzales